Dietary and nutritional content reviewed by Jasmin Gorostiza, DT, DM, DSS, CFPP.️
Some of our readers said this is one of the most in-depth Medifast reviews they have ever come across. We hope that you will also find this useful.
Here’s the reality of things. Like any other well-designed and popular diet, Medifast may or may not work for you. Certain factors such as program design, the type of food to eat, food preparation, community support, affordability, and a host of other factors all play an important role in making a weight loss diet program effective.
Hence, it is important for you to learn about these (all of which we will cover in this article) in order for you to find out whether Medifast is the right diet to help you lose weight.
With more Americans overweight and obese than ever, the search for a truly effective and safe way to lose weight has become an urgent need. Certainly one of the most popular weight loss diet programs you’ll ever come across these days is Medifast.
This is not a fad diet nor is it one of those trendy diets endorsed by major celebrities or Hollywood stars.
This diet, which remains very popular among people who are seriously trying to lose weight, has been around for more than 30 years — a testament to its effectiveness in helping millions of people lose weight and get back the health and quality of life that they very much deserve. Related read: Nutrisystem: Does This Very Popular Diet Really Work?
This diet, which remains very popular among people who are seriously trying to lose weight, has been around for more than 30 years — a testament to its effectiveness in helping millions of people lose weight and get back the health and quality of life …
According to the prestigious Harvard School of Public Health, being overweight has very serious repercussions to your health and quality of life. In fact, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute warns that health problems such as coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, type 2 diabetes, cancer, abnormal blood fats, and a host of other diseases have all been linked to overweight or obesity conditions. Studies have also found definite links between obesity and depression in adults. Hence, it is really very important that you come to terms with your condition and really set your mind to finding a way to lose weight and get your health and life back.
It truly is never too late to get started with a weight loss diet program such as Medifast. However, it is important that you find out whether this weight loss program can help deliver the results that you want to achieve in a way that is acceptable and fulfilling to you.
The video below provides a great overview of what the Medifast weight loss program is all about.
Do You Have What It Takes To Lose Weight On Medifast?
The Medifast weight loss program remains one of the top diet programs in the market today, even without the funfare associated with celebrity endorsed diets or infomercial style bombardment. Since 1980, more than 20,000 doctors have recommended the Medifast weight loss program to help millions of people lose weight effectively and safely.
In fact, there is no shortage of people who have lost weight on this program. These are people like you, who found an urgent need to make a positive change in their lives. There really is no special skill or knowledge needed to lose weight on this diet program.
However, what is required of you is the focus and commitment to follow the simple weight loss system outlined by Medifast. There really is nothing complicated about it as a lot of people who have lost weight on this diet can attest to.
If you do searches on the Internet, you will find countless numbers of unsolicited testimonials from actual people who have lost weight using this program. You can also check out some of the success stories yourself through this link or the videos below and see for yourself how Medifast has changed people’s lives and the no frills means by which Medifast has been endorsed by its users. You will find a wide range of people who lost 40 lbs. to as much as 205 lbs. on the diet. The common factor among these people is the deep desire and motivation to lose weight and become healthy.
Below are some testimonials from people who have successfully lost weight on Medifast. In these videos, they discuss why they chose Medifast and how this weight loss program helped them change their lives. Related Read: What You Need To Know About Nutrisystem Frozen Foods
Before you decide on whether this weight loss program is for you, it is important that you learn the background behind this diet and the science of how and why this diet works.
What Exactly Is Medifast?
Some of the most common questions about Medifast have to do with what exactly is this diet all about and what’s the principle behind this diet? This scientifically-based diet was first developed and used in the 1980’s at the esteemed Johns Hopkins University in New York as a way to help surgery patients quickly and safely shed weight prior to having their surgeries. Because of its effectiveness in helping patients lose weight effectively and more importantly, in a very safe way, the diet gained popularity beyond the confines of Johns Hopkins University and has become one of the most sought after clinically-proven diet programs in the United States (U.S.).
Because of its effectiveness in helping patients lose weight effectively and more importantly, in a very safe way, the diet gained popularity beyond the confines of Johns Hopkins University and has become one of the most sought after clinically-proven diet programs in the United States.
Medifast, was designed around the concept of eating six small meals a day — a combination of soy-based meal replacements and your own healthy, low calorie meals — to cut calories while keeping your metabolism high. This diet uses portion-controlled, low-fat, and nutritionally balanced meal replacements to help people realize faster, yet safe weight loss than most traditional diet plans. The combination of meal replacement and real food makes the diet program more effective and sustainable for people to follow and maintain until they achieve their weight target.
By all accounts, Medifast was a rousing success with surgery patients at John Hopkins University. This inspired its developers to make this weight loss program accessible and available to everyone who needs to lose weight and become healthy. Since its development back in the 1980’s, Medifast meal replacements have been improved and formulated to further become more effective and more enticing to consumers’ taste. The diet program offers more meal choices and variety to meet people’s taste and preferences.
The idea of not starving to lose weight, but rather using a well-formulated plan of nutritional-based meal replacements and healthy lean-and-green meals is quite revolutionary. The results in the real world for people who have used Medifast to lose weight has been nothing but impressive. On average, you can expect to lose 2 to 5 lbs. per week during the first two weeks and then 1 to 2 lbs. a week thereafter. (Please note that results may vary depending on the individual and other factors).
On average, you can expect to lose 2 to 5 lbs. per week for the first two weeks and then 1 to 2 lbs. a week thereafter.
Why Does This Popular Weight Loss Program Work?
So why does the Medifast diet work for most people who decide to go on this weight loss program? The principle behind this diet program is simple. The Medifast diet was developed to safely create that all-important gap between caloric intake and caloric expenditure without … and this is the key factor here … without sacrificing the nutritional needs of the person trying to lose weight.
The meals are formulated and designed to have the proven balance of carbohydrates and protein to improve a person’s satiety (feeling or condition of being full after eating) and to make program adherence more sustainable.
What makes Medifast an effective weight loss program is its nutrient-dense, low-calorie meals. These meals promote mild dietary ketosis … the body achieves fast weight loss while preserving muscle tissue.
What makes Medifast an effective weight loss program is its nutrient-dense, low-calorie meals. These meals promote mild dietary ketosis. Before you start scratching your head wondering what ketosis is, here is a brief explanation: Ketosis is a state wherein “the body switches from being a carbohydrate-burning organism into a fat-burning one. The fat stores become a primary energy source, and the person loses weight”.
You can read up more about ketosis here if you want. So when a person achieves mild dietary ketosis, the body achieves fast weight loss while preserving muscle tissue. Furthermore, when you achieve this fat-burning state, there is a tendency to feel less hungry while achieving sufficient levels of energy.
Clinically Tested, Clinically Proven to Be Effective and Safe
There probably isn’t another popular diet today that has been as thoroughly and exhaustively studied and researched as Medifast. In fact, a lot of the diets and weight loss programs you see in the market these days can’t back up their claims with scientifically and clinically proven results that are specific to their products. One of Medifast’s strengths is its medical and scientific origins. It’s not a diet or weight loss program that was developed or designed by a fitness guru or someone who invokes pseudo-science to develop a magic pill, with the main purpose of making money.
Medifast is backed by clinical studies that prove its effectiveness in helping people lose weight.
Medifast is backed by clinical studies that prove its effectiveness and safety in helping people lose weight. For example, one study from Johns Hopkins University demonstrated that those following Medifast lost twice as much weight as those who followed a more conventional diet advocated by the American Diabetes Association. Below are some of the results of various studies which were published in prestigious scientific journals about the effectiveness of Medifast for fast and safe weight loss. If you are interested in reading more details on these clinical studies and results, click here to read a summary of the studies.
Results published on Nutrition Journal (2010)
Results published by The Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine
Results published on The Diabetes Educator (2008)
Results published on PubMed.gov (2008)
Results published on National Institutes of Health (2000)
Other Benefits of This Diet Program
Aside from being a clinically-proven weight loss program, being highly recommended by doctors for people seriously wanting to lose weight, and real world-proven as an effective and safe way to lose weight by people who successfully lost weight on the program (all of which were discussed previously above), below are some of the other benefits of losing weight on Medifast.
• Very Easy to Follow Plan. Medifast’s program is quite simple to follow. The Medifast plan is based on what they call the “Achieve Plan”. You eat four prepared Medifast meals a day plus two lean and green meals that you make yourself and a healthy snack. There are well over 70 Medifast meals to choose from covering every range of food choices imaginable. You can get a variety of soups, stews, shakes, mashed potato, chili, scrambled eggs, bars, fruit drinks, and more … all delivered to your doorstep.
There are well over 70 Medifast meals to choose from covering every range of food choices imaginable … all delivered to your doorstep.
Even the one meal you prepare yourself, called a “Lean & Green” meal is simple and easy to prepare. You will also be getting various Lean & Green recipes from fellow Medifast users so you won’t run out of ideas for your self-prepared meal. In addition, other passionate Medifast users also provide “hacks” and recipes to add more variety, zest, or spice to some of the standard Medifast meals, just to change up things. People who have gone through this program attest to the simplicity of the diet plans and would highly recommend Medifast over any diet plan in the market.
• Well-Designed Meal Replacement Plans. Medifast meals are pre-portioned, low fat, and low calorie meals. Most of the meals are soy-based to provide you with healthy protein while the carbohydrate content are also measured to provide you with enough energy to keep you going. The meals also include 24 or more essential vitamins and minerals to ensure that you meet your daily nutritional requirements while you are on the weight loss program.
• A Sustainable Diet Program. The fact that Medifast meals are delivered to dieters rather than their having to take trips to the health food store to buy each meal or constantly having to cook meals on their own makes Medifast an easy program to maintain in many ways. In addition, the fact that the dieter eats six healthy meals a day helps develop healthy eating habits within only a few weeks. Both of these factors greatly enhance the probabilities for a dieter to stick to the program until the weight loss goals are achieved.
• Convenient, Easy to Plan, and Prepare. Medifast meals are really easy to plan and prepare. This diet program is perfect for the busy person. Medifast meals come in individual packets that you mix with water and microwave or refrigerate. The meals may be prepared in advance and stored in a thermos or refrigerator for up to 12 hours. Medifast meals are convenient since they do not need refrigeration and have a shelf life of up to 12 months.
• Great Way to Change Eating Habits. A key takeaway from a lot of Medifast users is that as a result of the diet program, they were able to change their eating habits for the better, which made their weight loss maintenance after achieving their target weight a lot easier. The diet program is more of a structured and time-tested system which comes in phases. This enables a dieter to more effectively adopt and change their eating habits and lifestyle. In short, the whole program is more like a behavior modification tool that helps people eat properly and therefore, has more long-term benefits to its users.
• A Variety of Options To Choose From. Medifast has a variety of packages to choose from thereby giving you options, depending on your preferences. Medifast has the following variety packages: Favorites package, Chocolate Lovers, Gluten-Free Favorites, and On-The-Go Favorites (You can check the details here: Medifast Plan Packages). You also have the option to add your favorites and subtract items you are not fond of. Furthermore, if you are allergic to certain food ingredients such as dairy, egg, gluten, fish, milk, peanuts, wheat, or tree-nuts, the company can also help you put together your own allergy-free diet meal plan. Here is a link to the Medifast Allergen Dietary Information.
• It’s Not Just Milkshakes or Snack Bars Any More. Medifast also has been developing new dishes and soups to its menu in order to add more zest and meal variety for its customers. Due to the programs active community of users, product and customer feedback has brought about some great developments into the program such as new dishes like garlic mashed potatoes, sour cream & chive mashed potatoes, hearty vegetarian sloppy joe, ziti marinara, vegetable chili, and the all-time comfort food, macaroni & cheese (see below).
• Weight Loss Guides and Tools. One of the key factors why a lot of Medifast users have become successful in their weight loss journey is because Medifast provides guides and tools to keep you on track with your weight loss goal. The company provides its users various guides to educate you on various situations that you will or may encounter while you are on the diet program. For example, what if you are dining out while you are on the program? You will find answers to this in the Dining Out Guide. Are you hitting a plateau in your weight loss progress. Medifast has ways to deal with this with its Plateau Tips. The company has put together a great resource to help you stay on track with your progress. Want to check out these guides? Here’s the link: Medifast Guides and Tools.
• An Active and Supportive Medifast Community. Medifast is unique among diet plans in that it’s backed up by a very supportive online community whose members all have a common goal — to lose weight effectively and safely. Don’t ignore how important this type of support system can be to keep you motivated and on point in your quest to get in top shape. Having a supportive group of people and some Medifast experts who are willing to help you achieve your weight loss goals really makes a world of difference. There is nothing like having access to people who can help you out when you are facing some challenges or simply need some answers to questions that you might have. You can check the Medifast Community here: MyMedifast
Medifast is unique among diet plans in that it’s backed up by a very supportive online community whose members all have a common goal — to lose weight effectively and safely.
Medifast also has a very active Facebook community page which provides updates on the meal plans, feedback and comments from actual Medifast diet users, inspirational stories, weight loss tips, and more. You can check out their Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/Medifast
• Local Medifast Weight Control Centers. Medifast also has local weight control centers that you can go to in case you need personal coaching, need to be inspired to lose weight with people who are also on their weight loss journey, or get more in-person community support from weight loss coaches and fellow Medifast members. You can find local Medifast weight control centers throughout the U.S here: Medifast Centers.
Medifast May Not Be For You If …
Like any weight loss program, there may be certain factors that may not make Medifast suited for you. Here are some possible concerns people may have regarding this diet.
• Some People Do Not Like Meal Replacements. Not everyone finds having to eat pre-packaged meal replacements appealing, even if it such a solution can help them lose weight. If you prefer to prepare your own meals or eat home-cooked meals instead, this diet program might not be for you.
If you do your research on the Internet, you will find that a vast number of people who did not like or had to quit Medifast said that they had a tough time adjusting to eating pre-portioned meal replacements. You will also find a lot of people complaining about the taste too, especially when they have been so used to eating tasty, salty, and fat-based meals for years, which so happened to be one of the main reasons why they may have become overweight in the first place. Even with the inclusion of one self-prepared meal in the Medifast program, some people may be unwilling to pursue this well-planned diet routine.
If you prefer to have cooked diet meals instead, you might like to check out Diet-To-Go or Bistro MD as these are also great alternative diet programs that deliver tasty, cooked, ready-to-eat diet meals to your home. A lot of people have lost weight on these diet delivery meal programs so I highly recommend that you also check them out.
• You Might Miss Home Cooked Meals. Yes, you may miss eating home cooked meals cause the program only allows you to eat one Lean & Green meal a day with the meal replacements that you will be having. Some people find having prepackaged meals tiring at some point … until you take a look in the mirror or step on the scale and see your results. My suggestion if you should start experiencing “meal replacement” burn out is to refocus on your weight loss goals. This is often more than enough to get yourself back on track.
• Requires Exercise For Best Results. Medifast, like every other honest weight loss plan, requires at least light exercise for you to lose weight. This is the nature of the human body and try as we might, it’s inescapable. If you are completely against exercise, it’s something you will eventually have to come to terms with if you really want to lose weight more effectively.
• Online Ordering Strictly in the U.S. Although there’s a strong interest in Medifast worldwide, unfortunately the diet is only readily available in the U.S. So for those living in the U.S., this is not an issue. However for those who live outside the U.S., you might need to find out if there is a local distributor within your country.
• May Not Be Affordable To Some. Just like any pre-formulated or commercial diet, Medifast may not be affordable to some people, hence it is highly recommended that you use discounts and coupons to save money. You also still have to factor in the cost of your once a day, Lean & Green Meal that you prepare yourself to this, which could add another $100 to $150 to your total budget.
You might like to check on the costs of the food that you eat per month with that of Medifast plan for comparison. A lot of people do that and find that their food consumption is actually more than the cost of Medifast, which makes Medifast a way better and more affordable option.
Although weight loss comes with a price tag, they agree that the cost of going through a legitimate diet program such as Medifast was definitely less than what a person would have to spend on medication and other health-related costs due to poor and deteriorating health.
For those who successfully lost weight on Medifast, a lof of them said that they thought of Medifast as more of an investment (and not a cost) in getting back their health. Although weight loss comes with a price tag, they agree that the cost of going through a legitimate diet program such as Medifast was definitely less than what a person would have to spend on medication and other health-related costs due to poor and deteriorating health. Medifast would still truly come out as a better choice than the mounting hospital bills once complications kick in.
To find out the cost of Medifast, click here: Medifast Plan Packages.
Our Final Thoughts
Overall, it’s not hard to give Medifast a final full recommendation. The diet is effective, safe, and has been developed to be an easy to follow program. Backed up by research and proven results, Medifast has been shown to be a potent weapon in the war against obesity. In fact, one of the key factors we love about Medifast is that there is no shortage of people who are willing to share their Medifast success stories. Again, you can checkout their success stories and get yourself inspired to lose weight.
Medifast is one of the soundest weight loss diet programs you’ll find in the market today. Invest in yourself. Invest for your health. Medifast is one investment whose returns will pay you many times over in terms of bringing back your health and improving your quality of life.
If you are still unsure of whether Medifast is the right diet for you, it might benefit you to give it a try for two weeks or a month. Just like anything, sometimes you won’t know if it’s right for you unless you give it a try.
If you are still unsure of whether Medifast is the right diet for you, it might benefit you to give it a try for two weeks or a month. Just like anything, sometimes you won’t know if it’s right for you unless you give it a try. When it comes to your health, a weight loss program that has been clinically-proven and real-world-proven to help millions of people lose weight safely may be worth a try and the investment.
What about Medifast’s refund policy? In case you decide that Medifast is not the right fit for you, the company has a 30-day refund policy wherein they will refund the purchase price of unopened food items that you ship back to them. we really think that this is a fair policy for the consumer, as well as for Medifast. This policy also provides you the opportunity to give Medifast a try so that you can see for yourself whether this weight loss diet program is the right one for you.
Now that we have provided you with all the information that you need to know about Medifast, we’ll leave the final decision up to you. We wish you the best in your journey to get your health back and to enjoy the quality of life that you rightfully deserve.
P.S. In case you decide to get started with Medifast, don’t forget to use any coupons featured below for great savings.
Download the “Medifast Quick Start Guide” to learn more details about the diet, sample meal plans, tips for success, exercise requirements, transitioning, maintenance, and answers to frequently ask questions on Medifast.
Download the “Medifast: Your Physician’s Answer To Weight Management” document to answer some of your questions on Medifast.
Are you planning to go on the Medifast diet program? Have you used this before to lose weight or are you currently on the plan? Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and experience with Medifast. Related read: Instructions on how to apply the latest Medifast coupons to save money on Medifast.